Tuesday, 19 April 2011

2 Commissioned cards

So here are the 2 60th Birthday cards I was commissioned to make.  Brief was fairly basic; wanted the name and age on the cards, bigger size (so agreed on A5 size i.e A4 folded in half) and liked all the flowers/decoupage look.

The only other thing was that Christine was a golfer.  So having no suitable golfing image I googled and managed to find this elegant lady golfer and then the rest of the card just fell together.
The shape around her is supposed to be like a bunker/golf course shape and then I thought adding the 60 onto a circle to make it look like a golf ball would be cute.  Couldn't resist adding 'have a ball' sentiment!
The image has been cut out several times and then layered/decoupaged.  Can probably see that better in the shot below.  Colours are a lot more subtle IRL but I took these photos at night before I sold them so not the best lighting.  She was coloured with copics and then some touches of twinkling H2O to give her blouse & skirt a subtle shimmer.  Edges around her were stamped with some flourishes and then sponged with mixture of distress inks and shimmer chalks to tone down the white of the card.  Used K& Co patterened papers, machine stitched around the borders.  Letters & numbers were cut using Sizzix alphas 'sunset' which I then sponged with pink distress ink and stamped text over them before added stickles over them.
Then it was just a case of a lot of arranging/fiddling and glueing down of the letters, flowers and metal brads & metal corner to finish.  More stickles added to the flowers for more sparkle.

Then the other fiddly bit was to make a box to put them in - won't tell you how many attempts it took me to get right but got there in the end!  Kept the inside simple by adding pink insert, punched border along bottom and used a lovely happy birthday stamp (from an old HOTP set)

The other card had no specific requirements so I just went for a pretty look and tried to not make it too young, so Whiff of Joy image came to my rescue. (Originally wanted to use a Greeting Farm image but that was deemed to young - have since used that on another card to go in my sale box and will post that later)

Frame image is sitting on is a Nesties die which I cut out with White/yellow Coredinations cardstock and then sanded so that the cute cherry embossing detail shows up but not sure it's that obvious in photo.  Again image has been cute and decoupaged and coloured with copics/twinkling H20s and stickles glitter on all flowers.  The Lettering & numbers are another sizzix alpha set (think this one is 'tango mango') I cut out of glittered cardstock.  then just bit of machine stitching, brads and pearls to finish.  Inside kept simple again with basic insert and sentiment.
The buyer seemed happy with  them and I hope the recipients like them but I don't think I'm cut out to take request orders as I much prefer just making whatever comes to mind.  Too much second guessing myself when I'm trying to work to a brief and wondering if they'll like it!

Will see if my other cards fit any challenges floating around at the moment and try to join in with my next couple of posts as it's been a while.  Till then, hope you're all enjoying this glorious sunshine.


4 comments:

CraftyC said...

These are both gores cards Fran. I'm so used to square cards, nice to see a change!
Clairex

Riet said...

What a gorgeous cards Frances.

Hugs Riet.xx

Joyce said...

It is a labour of love, isn't it? So much details... simply beautiful.

debby4000 said...

Love your gorgeous cards Fran.
luv
Debby

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin