Sunday, 7 February 2010

arty farty stamping!

Hello, hope you're all having a good weekend.  Card today is a non cute one - I know, shocking!  But every now & again I get the urge to mess around with just stamps & inks (which is how this stamping bug started for me before I discovered prismas and copics and the influx of all these cute character stamps).

So I dug out some old and some new Hero Arts stamps (think most of my old wooden blocked stamps are either Hero arts, Stampendous or Penny Blacks!) and came up with this

Just basic resist embossing stamping and good old distress inks.  In case anyone interested, here's quick run through of how I did it.


Starting with piece of white card, stamp what you want to be in the background onto it.  So on mine I added the lined notepaper stamp, the 'heartfelt' sentiment and  some random small images in various colours of distress inks.

Then I found this lovely old flower stamp and created a 'reverse' stamp out of it by heating the grey side of a piece of 'cut n dry' foam pad and pressing the stamp into it (you can just about see the impression in the photo).  You can miss this step out if you already have a suitable stamp (Heroarts have some fabulous new stamps just perfect for this technique which is what got me started to see if I could use what I already had).  I then inked the 'cut n dry' impression with versamark inkpad and stamped it onto my piece of stamped card and heat embossed it with clear embossing powder.  This way, the only bit of card which isn't embossed now should be the impression of the flower.

By using various distress inkpads I sponged the colours on to reveal the flower and all the imperfect bits around the edges where it didn't emboss properly.  Give the whole piece a buff with kitchen towel and job done. 

Then I just cut down to size and distressed and inked the edges before making up into card.  Obviously had to use my Martha border punches in there somewhere and I seem to naturally want to make all my layers 'wonky' so not quite sure what that says about me LOL  Think it would have looked better with some stitching around the layers but I still not got myself a sewing machine so will have to do without for now.

So, that's my 'arty farty' card out of my system  for now, so cuteness will resume next time :) . . . I was tempted to sit a cute charcter in the corner of my stamped piece - thought one of my sitting Tildas would have looked cute but stopped myself :)

Thanks for swinging by & enjoy what's left of your Sunday.

6 comments:

Jane said...

Wow Fran!!!! thank you so much for the information on how you did this because it looks amazing and such a refreshing change from cute!!! I love it, you're so clever! hugs, Jane xx

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Fran.

Hugs Riet.xx

stephanne said...

Love the papers and the fun techniques you've used so well to acheive maximum arty fartiness levels!! Fabulous!!
Stephanne

Georgia Ehrmann said...

Such a beautiful card...there's a lot to be said for using the old techniques! I visit your blog frequently and this is a change up for you, but a wonderful addition!

debby4000 said...

Oh this is fab, beautiful work.
luv
Debby

Juls said...

Just stunning!! Love the real vintage feel! Hugs Juls

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin