Thursday, 21 January 2010

CCT~ Fairy: Chinese New year

CCT theme this week is 'Fairy fantastic', so time to rummage through all your fairy stamps and images.

I was going to use a Lily of the valley one, as yet uninked (have you seen peeks of the new range - how cute do they look?!) Then I remembered I had this little beauty I bought last year. It's a Paper make up fairy stamp, which noramlly aren't really my cup of tea but this one, I just fell in love with - she's just so pretty and I love the jade charm she has in her hand. So in my collection she went and only now has she been inked up. She's just perfect for Chinese new year cards too, so that is what I have made (it falls on Valentine's day this year!)

Went for a typical blk/red combo and threw in some silver and green as highlight colours. No patterned paper, just stamped & heat embossed a lace stamp & chinese sentiment stamp onto red card using black holographic embossing powder.

Image coloured with Copics as usual, but then the dotty shading around her was my first attempt at doing this. I usually just shade it in with a pale grey or blue copic but I was just blown away by the effect that was achieved with this card by Chrissie whilst bloghopping. Now obviously mine is nowhere near as good (In hindsight, should have gone a bit more dotty but I was afraid to add to much but I know to just go for it next time!). I love the effect and will be using this technique again for sure -that's the beauty of blogs, you get to learn and share stuff to try!

Stash:

  • Stamps: 'Penelope fairy' - Paper Makeup stamp. Lace background stamp - Hero arts, chinese sentiment - unknown, bought at Ally Pally many years ago
  • Colouring: Copics, touch of glaze pen over the jade for added sheen like the real thing and stardust pen over her wings for sparkle
  • Paper: none, just black, red & silver cardstock
  • Tools: Petite scallop oval nesties,MS 'frond' leaf punch, EK 'Parisian' (I think!) edger punch
  • Others: adhesive pearls, Orchid flowers from Orchid crafts

    That's all for today. It's hubby's day off, so might try and pop into local fabric/craft store - they have beading stuff and I'm building up a little stash, as I've got all these things I want to try (you know what it's like when you discover a new hobby LOL) Oh and Sis, if you're reading this, don't worry I'm still crocheting, just stalling a bit on my dim sum project - half way through my 2nd sui mi, it'll get there ;)

  • Thanks for stopping by & have a good day.

    8 comments:

    Annie said...

    very striking card Fran and I love the black embossing. Perfect fairy for the Chinese New Year.
    hugs, annie x

    Joyce said...

    Yes, I am reading. The New Year card...love the way you've done the Chinese characters, so rich and dark, really like that.

    Impressed by your beading. Does that mean I could look forward to a set of knitting stitch markers for my birthday ? hint hint ;)

    HazelQ said...

    Lovely card! I love the black embossing, looks really nice :)
    Hugs
    Hazel

    Katie Cotton said...

    this card is stunning! I really really love it! And the way you did some shading around the image is brilliant!

    My Paper World said...

    Wow! This is really very beautiful!
    love the colours it's really stunning!

    CraftyC said...

    Your card is beautiful Fran, Love the background
    Clairexx

    Deb said...

    stunning card, she is adorable! have a great weekend, hugs Debx

    scrappyella said...

    Just this card and found it very attractive. love this image and the red with the black. kudos to you. great inspiration.

    LinkWithin

    Blog Widget by LinkWithin