Friday, 24 April 2009

Truly scrumptious Ice cream

Hello & Happy Friday, it's the weekend! (Although don't know why I'm saying that as weekends =work for me LOL).

Anyway, inbetween escaping into Edward & Bella world (just about to start 'breaking dawn' now :)) I made this birthday card for my nephew. It started out for the challenge over on Sugarbowl (card for a man/boy) but then decided that one can wait seeing as I've got 2 wks to play along to that one and I can try to do a more manly card for that. This one is better for the Truly scrumptious challenge as I used the sketch and it also fulfills the added option of 'card for a child' :) Don't usually use such bright colours but these images just screamed bright colours to me.

I wanted to use up the scraps of dp so used it to decorate the inside but then the left hand side looked a bit bare so coloured and stuck in another image :)
Stash:

  • Images: All the images are from the 'Mary Hall' Sugar nellie stamp collection over at Funky Kits. Wasn't that keen on them at first but the 2nd release had some cute ones which called out to me and they are really fun to colour in as they are full of detail. The fab sentiments on the front of the card are from a woodware clear set 'ice cream parfait'. Ones on the inside are various Hero arts ones I've had for years
  • Colouring: Copics. Then used glaze pens over the ice creams and the kid's glasses and some stardust pen on the cakes and hairbow.
  • DP: various bits from stash, non branded. Main bit was the red check I wanted to match the tablecloth :)
  • Others: Used one of my new EK success border punches around the main central image. Love this one, as it gives a really diddy border and even though it's supposed to be an arrow head, they look like hearts to me. made a 'manly' flower by distressing couple of circles and adding brad to centre and typed nephew's name out using ATB tapewriter and cutting out with SU word window punch.

*****************


Talking of border punches, as promised here are some photos of the new slimline EK Success Edger punches I got in the post the other day. (Got mine from Oyster Crafts).

I love my Martha Stewart and Fiskars punches and probably don't need anymore but I do love them so and couldn't resist some more, I'm sure you understand 'that' feeling LOL. Added bonus to these is that they clip shut, so take up less space to store ;)

I got a new Fiskars one whilst I was at it (the first one on the left), called 'Upper crest' then got 4 EK ones but I've added in my Fiskars 'threading water' one in the photo so you can see the difference in size between that scallop and the new EK 'dotted scallop' (thought that might be useful for anyone interested -I know I wanted to know and it took me a while googling trying to find that out!)

As you can see the EK 'dotted scallop' is lovely and diddy and I would think similar to the MS mini hearts one which I don't have and thought would be a good substitute. The remaining 3 in the photo are 'parisian', 'arrow border' and 'dotted wave'. The photo below that is to give some idea of size comparison of the actual punches - about same length as MS but bit shorter then Fiskars but about half the depth of both of those when they are 'sanpped shut' so can be stacked and stored easier. Shame they aren't all like that.

There are a few more I want but they didn't have so they will go on my 'to get' list! (really want the 'binding edge' one plus 2 'nice to haves' would be the 'fleur de lis' and 'alpine trail' ones).

O.K, book and a spot of lunch is calling me then it's work for the evening. Sorry I've not been round my usual blogs (blame the books!) but I will try to visit this weekend! Thank you for all your lovely comments, which is always appreciated.



17 comments:

Sharon said...

This is adorable Fran. I love the bright colours. Thanks for joining in our TS challenge.

mar1ene said...

So fab Fran, love it to bits and well done on using all those images!!
Hugs, Marlene x

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Fran,l love the images and colours.

Hugs Riet.x

Dawn said...

Wow this is so different - gorgeous fun card and OOh look at all those punches --

thanks for joining us on TS

Dawn

Caryn said...

You can't have too many border punches, that's what I say!!

Your card is adorable Fran - I love the bold bright colours.

Hugs,
Caryn xxx

CraftyC said...

Gorgeous card Fran, love the bold colours and fab flowers!
Clairex

Viv said...

Love the card Fran, bold bright and funky! Thanks too for the info on the punches! Invaluable as it saves a lot of rooting around.
Yer a STAR!!
Viv xx

Deb said...

fabulous card Fran, so love the sweet image and gorgeous inside too!
Thanks for showing us those punches, there are a few on my to get list now, I am sure my husband thanks you too, hehe!
Hope you are enjoying your weekend! Debx

Vicky said...

Cute card Fran. Love the vibrant colours!
Hugs, Vicky x

Little Scraps of Heaven Designs said...

Hi, come see the surprise at my blog that I have for you.

stardustgemsandribbon said...

Wonderful card Fran...and love the punches. I managed to get some EK punches from Oyster at the craft show on Friday.
Hugs
Carole x

Kim said...

Love your new blog look...the colors are so nice and springy!!! :) Love the new punches...wowsers...fun fun fun!!! And your card is so beautiful!!!
Hugs~ Kim

debby4000 said...

Oh this is gorgeous, what fabulous images and wonderful colours.
luv
Debby

Daniela1975 said...

Sehr schön...hast aber sehr viele Borderstanzer ;-)

LG.-aus sachsen

Kathy said...

Fabulous card Fran!! I love the images that you have put together and the colors are awesome!! I have also been using some bright primary colors lately as well!! Love that the paper matches the tablecloth perfectly!!
Haha ~ I swear I have been eyeing some of these up at Micheals!! (LOL) Thanks so much for the info and pics as I am one that needs visuals!!
Have a great night :)Kathy

Annika said...

I love the creative and fun feel of your cards, I have had the most delicious half an hour here and will definitely come back for more. Thanks for all the inspiration (and pure aesthetic pleasure) you have provided!
Hugs
Annika

Beth said...

I LOVE THIS!!! The colours are so fun and perfect for any child, and I love how you've combined all the cute images together! Thanks for joining in with the Truly Scrumptious challenge!
Beth xx

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin