Sunday, 1 March 2009

WoJ POM: 'save for a rainy day'

It's the 1st of the month so time for another 'Project of the Month' for Whiff of Joy. This month we had to decorate a savings box. As soon as I saw this I instantly thought of using Willow with umbrella and the phrase 'save for a rainy day'. After rummaging around for a suitable container that I could alter and coming up empty (that's the problem with having 'minimilist' hubby who doesn't like clutter and chucks any empty containers/boxes away as it's just rubbish to him - just can't see the potential in things like us crafters can) had to go to plan B and make my own. I thought about making it out of card but then didn't think it was study enough so then next thing was chipboard, but didn't want to try to glue that together so thought I'd tie it together instead and use my Bind-it-all to cut the holes.

It was actually quite simple to make. Supplies needed (click on photo for list):

1. Cover 5 of your chipboard pieces (all 4"x4" squares) with DP of your choice for the 4 sides and the top of you box. I also covered the 6th piece but on the top rather than the bottom if you see what I mean (will be clear in next photo). I also inked around all the edges to blend the chipboard and dp together better

2. Use Bind-It-All and punch holes along all edges of all 6 squares. As it's 4x4 you just need to punch it the once along each side (no hassle of realigning and punching more than once each side - nice and simple)

3. For the slot in the top I marked out the centre on the reverse and drew around suitable shape (I used SU word window punch as template). Then used my cropodile to punch either end so that it cut out the curved bit for me which meant only needed craft knife to cut the straight edges.
3. Then before you tie your box together you want to add any embellishments which you need to do whilst flat i.e I added those big metal eyelet things with Cropodile - 1 for the flower on the top and one for the tag on the side.

4. Need long piece of string (mine was some pink nylon cord I got from B&Q ages ago - it called out to me LOL) and starting with the bottom piece, start to tie 4 sides of your box to it, as shown in photo below. Bit fiddly at first but once a few sides are done it gets easier. (see what I mean about covering the top of the bottom piece!) Then continue to tie the sides of the box before finally adding the top and tying that. 5.Then I just coloured my image (Copics and H20 on her umbrella but can't tell in photo), cut it out and stuck her on with silicone glue so she's raised off the box.I also added a pink glass heart bead (with a jump ring and clasp) to finish it off .

The papers are busy enough (but I love it) so didn't add anything else (dp are all from digital kit from Sweet Shoppe - think this is 'wild thing' by Zoe Pearn).

The edges don't meet up 100% all the way around but I quite like it like that, hope you do too! Don't forget to pop on over to WoJ PoM to see some much more stunning creations by the rest of the DT.

I'll be back later with the one card I managed to make this weekend but didn't get a chance to post. I will also try and catch up with everyone that I've not had a chance to yet - sorry!

14 comments:

josefa laura said...

Wow,this is fantastic it´s so beautiful jlaura

Steph said...

Oh wow, this is sooo beautiful. The papers you've used are simply stunning. What a fab make x

Kelly Schelske said...

Oh wow, this is absolutely beautiful!!

Thanks for the great tutorial as well!!

Malin said...

Good morning, absolutley fantastic, stunning and beautiful.
//Malin

Viv said...

Whey Hey!! How clever is this!!
I love it Fran. Vey inventive and oh so pretty too.
Viv xxx

Camilla said...

Really a stunner Fran!!! So colourful and beautiful! And it looks quite easy to make to:)
Have a lovely day!
Hugs, Camilla.

Glitter Monkey said...

WOW Fran this is absolutely stunning! Lol Lynn ♥

shellshearer said...

absolutely stunning hun..... pop over to my blog there is an award for you xxxx

Kathy said...

Neat idea!! Love how you have used the Rainy day image! (I just used my spare change to get the leftover Gorjuss Girls since I didn't get them at first. I lucked out this time!!)
Anyway love the paper and all the lovely bright colors! Have a great day! :)Kathy

dawnmarieg said...

Wow Fran, this is just beautiful, and your tutorial is fantastic, looking at it I'd have been terrified to try it but you have explained it so well, stunning papers and your colouring is as always exquisite. DawnM.x

Annie said...

fabulous money box Fran and I love the 'save for a rainy day' theme with this Willow image. hugs, annie x

Kirsten Alicia said...

OMG!!!!! This is absolutely STUNNING!!! I love the papers & the image is gorgeous.

Kim said...

WOW what a fabulous money holder you have created....and from scratch....WOW! Beautiful....Stunning work Fran!
hugs~ Kim

Cathy said...

This is stunning!!! I love the colors and the whole thing is just WOW!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin