Saturday, 31 January 2009

WoJ: POM - from the heart

It's the 1st of the month which means it's time for another POM (Project of the month) over at WOJ. I totally forgot what with my sister over (she's home in sunny Florida now) until yesterday so had to rustle this up before I headed off to work. However, I should have more time now as I'm back to only working 3 days a week - whoohoo!

Anyway, back to my POM, the theme is 'a valentines gift' and there are some absolutely stunning creations from the rest of the DT so be sure to check them out. Think mine is way too girly for me to give to my hubby so it's more a gift 'from the heart' (or I could give it to him to give to me, LOL)! It's a decorated metal bookmark and I have made a card to hold it.

Materials for card:

  • Images: 'from the heart' sentiment and heart pillow WOJ stamps coloured with copics
  • Papers: BG 'euphoria' pad and some brown cardstock for the base cardblank and punched out trim
  • Tools: Martha stewart valentine heart border punch (I'm so chuffed my sister managed to get this for me - absolutely love it to bits). Frame cut with quickutz revolution die 'label'

Then I just cut 2 slits to slot my bookmark through. I bought these metal bookmark hooks from ebay end of last year when I was buying all my beading stuff and thought they would be fab to dress up. You just get the metal hook part which has a hole at the top for you to add your own chains/charms etc. I have been meaning to do this for ages so thought now was a good a time as any.

Materials for bookmark:

  • metal bookmark from beadstore/ebay
  • 'melinda reading book' & 'pile of books' Whiff of Joy stamps
  • Clear shrink plastic, stazon ink, copic markers & heat gun
  • various metal charms, beads, metal chain & findings from stash plus 2 pairs of small pliers (1 round nose, 1 flat)

I stamped 'melinda reading book' and the 'book pile' onto clear shrink plastic, coloured with my copics on the reverse side of the stamped image and a bit of stardust pen on her wings before carefully cutting around them leaving space at the top to punch a hole. I then used my heatgun to shrink them and you get instant mini plastic charms.

Then all I did (but a tad fiddly!) was add a jump ring through the hole and attach it to a length of silver chain, added some more beads and metal charms from my stash before attaching it to the metal hook and voila, one girly jingly bookmark!
Excuse the book but it was the first one to hand! (yes, I've pretty much read all her books!)Ooo, can you see my fabby new pots in the background too?! That's what hubby put up for me when I rearranged my room last week just before my sister came to visit. So still need to sort bits out but will post some photos of before and after soon.
Right, off to have some lunch then sort myself out so that hopefully I can do some blog hopping later to catch up with everyone and see what challenges are out there for me to take part in next week - yeah, happy days!
Have a lovely sunday :)

7 comments:

Monique said...

Hi Fran, what a beautiful creation!!

xx Monique

Rach said...

wow Fran what a beautiful bookmark and a gorgeous card to hold it..wonderful work hun, glad to hear that you will be back in the land of blog..hugs rachxx

Kim said...

Fran what an AMAZING bookmark! I love it! I need to make me one of these for my literature classes that I am in! I will be constantly reading until May! :)
Hugs~ Kim

Kathy said...

Wow that bookmark is gorgeous!! I have never seen anything like that!! Your images look perfect for this!! Cool idea to make a card to hold it as well!!
Yeah!! We will see you more often ~ it will be good to have you back! :)Kathy

debby4000 said...

Fantastic bookmark, glad to hear that things are getting back to normal and looking forward to more blogging.

Jeanette said...

Wow! Lovely project! Amazing. Very nice present, and the card is lovely, too! Have a nice week!

Trina said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Fran!! And I've read all her books too!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin