Sunday, 2 November 2008

BG #9: Matchbox advent calender

OK then, here's what I've been working on this weekend, in between 'proper work'. Sorry I didn't post it yesterday but it took longer than expected! Some of you already guessed it with my hint in the last post (still don't know what I'm gonna do with all those matches LOL, any ideas?!!).

It's a cute advent calender box using empty little matchboxes. I found the idea/tutorial from here and I've had the boxes for a few weeks now and seeing as it's Nov now thought I'd better make a start or I'd never make it in time!

Just checked and I can also enter it for this week's Basic grey challenge as I've used paper and brads from their 'Wassail' range and it happens to fit in the Christmas theme (love it when that happens!)

Here's a 'before' shot, 24 boxes stuck down into columns of 3 and painted, along with inside of the drawers:

After stacking and sticking down to 2 4x4" chipboard squares and lots of umming and arghing over brads, ribbons and embellies, you get this:-

Here are more photos from different angles:





Materials:
  • 24 empty match boxes (small ones although after making this I'm wondering if it'd work with larger boxes as then the sides would be big enough for stamped images and it also means it can be filled with bigger treats!) and 2 4x4" chipboard squares for the base and top of the box.
  • acrylic paint (mine were anita's which I've had for about 8yrs and they haven't dried up or anything!!)
  • Basic Grey 'Wassail' DP 1 12x12 sheet is enough for this project with large strip to spare
  • Brads and ribbon for the drawer handles. Then chipboard letters, Peel off numbers, charms, angel charms all from my stash - you should have seen my room - total mess!
  • silver pen to add faux stitching around the drawers
  • couldn't resist a little bit of stamping - silver flourishes on some of the DP around the sides from an Inkadinkado set.
  • For full instructions see the link I mentioned at the top of my post.
**********************

I'm going to try to get back to some normal cards next week and also some challenges again as I've got lots of goodies to play, including my DT goodies from Silly Monkey.
Talking of DT, I didn't take part in the WoJ Nov POTM as it was to decorate a candle which I already did here and wasn't inspired enough to think of something new but you should check out what the rest of the amazing DT came up with here. Also, have you seen sneek peek of Herb? If you like him and snowmen you are going to LOVE the new release which should be sometime this month. Will let you know as soon as I get my DT stamps. Don't forget to check my WOJ candy link (top right of blog) as I update that whenever a new one is up :)

39 comments:

moonlight60 said...

What a fantastic work, Fran! I love it!

Hugs
Tina

MichelleO said...

I sit here with jaw in hand! Wowswer girl this is great! Really clever and absolutely fantastic!
WOW
HUGS
MichelleO

Bunny-Zoe's Blog said...

Wow Fran this is fantastic! I might have to try this. You have decorated it beautifully. Hugs Nikki x

Anesha said...

Wow, this is just fantastic!!!

Malin said...

Stunning work, I must try to do one myself.. I love yours!
//Malin

Camilla said...

WOW Fran!! Your Calender is fantastic!! Love it!!

Boots the Monkey (Jo) said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G ! Golly gosh, how stunning - you certainly can enter it into this week's challenge ! Fantastic work Fran, you have put a lot of love and care into this and I hope its for someone very special.

Thank you for joining us in our challenge this week.

Jo x

Heather's Creations said...

Ok let me just pick my chin up off the floor! This is so awesome Fran, what a great way to countdown to xmas, great change from the chocolate wall hangings we buy every year! I just may have to pinch - sorry I mean "case" this lol :0)
**Hugs** Heather x

Jeanette said...

OMG! This is just fantastic. What an amazing project! Love it. Hugs Jeanette

Helena said...

thud ...... hear that, that is my jaw hitting the floor!!!! I knew what you were up to but OMG this is just so stunning!!!!

xxxx

Donalda's Blog said...

Wow Fran this must of took forever to do. It is just breathe taking. Such gorgeous work dear.

CraftyC said...

Wow, its a masterpiece, how fantastic!!
Clairex

Lilian said...

WOW this must've taken you hours to do. *whistle* It's really wonderful.

Ila said...

Totally Amazing!! This is so Gorgeous and totally Fantastic!!..Hugs, Ila

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

What a stunning project Fan, you are so clever hun!! hugs Linda x

Vicky said...

Wow what a fantastic project Fran. Absolutely stunning. It's obvious you've put a lot of time and effort into it, but it is well worth it!
Gorgeous!!
Hugs, Vicky x

Jules said...

wow wow wow, this is amazing!

Kim said...

Wow that is fabulous Fran. Kim

Cathy said...

This is stunning, such a lot of work and it shows. I love this, and might need to have a go!
Cathy xx

Diane.W. said...

Gorgeous!so beautifully decorated too.
I think you should have your own bonfire/inferno with the matches,lol!!!! :o)x

ink'n'rubba said...

wow Fran, what an amazing work of art you have created with all those little match boxes! now to find 24 tiny gifts to go inside .. ..! hugs, annie x

stardustgemsandribbon said...

Stunning creation Fran...absolutely love it! I see you managed to use one of your wonderful angels! Love all the embellishments. Have fun filling the drawers!
I've had instructions on how to make one of these for about eighteen months now...might get around to it one day!
Hugs
Carole :-)

Jo said...

Oh Wow!!!!!

Creations by Patti said...

Wow - I love your matchbox advent box - I'll have to put it on a "to do list". If I can't have it made by Xmas, maybe by CNY? It's in my favorite color: red. Thanks for sharing - You are an inpiration. I'm so glad I found your blog.

sue said...

Wow Wow Wow This is just fantastic. I am in awe of your talent. I would love to have a go, where do you get the matchboxes from? One more time WOW!!!
Hugs Sue x

Lazylol said...

This project is so fabulous - wow!

Pascalebrad said...

WOW I think this is amazing and I am inspired to make one for my kids. Pascale :)

cats whiskers said...

Oh Fran this is fantastic, thanks for the link, I love all the little charms and die cuts and the fantastic papers really want to have a go now
Hugs Jacqui x

debby4000 said...

OMG this is truly awesome and jaw dropping beautiful.

Wendy G said...

wow, wow, wow! That is just amazing! I love how you chose to decorate it also...that looks like it took forever to make!

Kristen said...

OMG! That is just incredible!!! And beautiful and stunning too! What an awesome creation!

Kathy said...

OMG!!! I love the way this turned out!!! The papers are gorgeous as is everything about this!! Now I think I will have to try this out and I don't have the time to so thanks for making me stress about getting one made :P (LOL) :)Kathy

Sarah said...

OMG!!! This is just amazing!!! There aren't enough words to describe how fantastic this is!!
xx :0)

mariaadams said...

Amazing! This must have been a labour of love, Fran. It's absolutely gorgeous!
Maria xx

LazyKay said...

That's inspired - what lovely work!

xxxxxxx

Kristine B. said...

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!! I HAVE TO TRY THIS!! = 0 WOW...it's stunning and oh-so-fun. I'm going to run out today and buy some match boxes! :) THANK YOU!

Poppy said...

wow how fantastic. love the box.
poppy

Anonymous said...

Anyone who knows anything links london about jewelry understands the hierarchy of precious links of london bracelet metals with platinum being atop it. links of london charms While many people pine for gold, platinum is more highly prized links of london watches by the informed. Platinum is an extremely rare, links of london rings even more so then gold which in part the reason links of london necklaces why it is considered superior.

Anonymous said...

Your advent boxes are absolutely AWESOME and I thought mine turned out well. They look just like little wooden antique advent boxes - good job !!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin