Friday, 14 November 2008

2 for the weekend

O.K the weeks are just going by way too quick for my liking, how come it's Fri already? and we're already half way through Nov? I haven't done anything for christmas yet - no lists, no purchases, nothing. Was way more organised last year and had all the presents bought by now, best get my skates on, eh?!

Anyway, at least I'll have the cards ready, LOL. Here are two more.

This first one is a 5x7 " card (I do like this size as alternative to 14cm square cards as the other standard rectangle sizes I either find too small or too big!). It's 'non cute' and is for the Penny Black challenge of 'sentiment only'. This PB stamp is huge so doesn't really need anything with it! Just used the black and white scraps from my earlier Lizzie card and teamed it with some silver mirri card and a splash of red ribbon to tie in with the holographic black embossing powder I used on the text which has flashes of red and silver (you probably won't be able to pick up in the photo). The silver die cuts are various cuttlebug dies and the black piece at the bottom has been embossed with the snowflake folder and that's all there is to that one. Not that keen on it but it'll do for my 'non-cute' pile.

Now, back to cute. This one's using the sketch over on Papertake Weekly and another of my cute Herb stamps from Whiff of Joy:

Materials:

  • Images: 'Herb with baby' stamp from Whiff of Joy. sentiment is from a studio g 99p clear set and the flourishes are part of an Inkadinkado set
  • Colouring: Prismacolour pencils blended with sansodor and twinkling H2O. I went for the distressed/grungy look to this card and to get the snowman white I've stamped onto white paper and coloured/distressed the paper all around him so that the only white bits left is Herb himself. Added a little bit of pale blue shading to Herb and lots of pearlescent H2O all over him for that glow/shine
  • papers: Last years DCWV christmas stack and white glitter card. They already had the 'dirty' look to them I just added more around the stripe mat to make it 'pop' a bit more.
  • Tools: spot my new nestie, heehee? I've been wanting the new 'labels' set and finally found some in the UK ( 'Once upon a stamp' if you're interested, £16.99 and if you get 4 sets it works out £15. First time I used them and no probs - got them in 2 days. Exchange rate not that great anymore to buy from the US- works out about the same now doesn't it! :/) This is 'labels 1' but 'labels 2' is fab as well. The stars are nesties too. Martha stewart scallop dots border punch, corner punch and snowflake die used too.
  • Others: Ribbon from stash - just stamped 'merry christmas' across it with green StazOn ink and olive green brads (I know they look black in photo) added to just add splash of colour besided the blue and vanilla.

Well, that's my lot for this weekend. I see the Magnolia winter kits have arrived for some of you, so have fun with those! (I've still not had post today but doubt mine are here yet as money only went out on the 12th as I left it quite late before I ordered. Talking of which - what did they charge you for postage? They took 45Kr for mine, I thought it was 35Kr - has it gone up?)

Have a fab weekend everyone.

27 comments:

Glitter Monkey said...

Love these two - they are so different but each very stylish in their own way. I love the touch of red in the top one and the lovely image and blue tones in the bottom one. Lol Lynn x

Mephisto said...

Both Cards are very great!

thanks for playing along this week at PBSC.

Domi

Diane.W. said...

Gorgeous cards,luv the new Nesties :o)x

steph said...

Aww Fran these are gorgeous! Love Herb - such a cute character! Thanks for joining us for the challenge! x

craftyb said...

Hi fran, lovely card...love the colours...I also really like the label nesties...guess whats on my christmas list (need a toilet roll to get it all on though)!!

I love the look of this magnolia kit...can't wait to get my mits on it either! My account was debited on 12th also and it seems it was 35kr for postage. Maybe it was an error you need to check out?! bx

ink'n'rubba said...

two very different but gorgeous cards Fran. Hope you have a good weekend, I'm off to ink up magnolias! hugs, annie x

Carla said...

Both gorgeous! I really love the snowman card, the shimmer is beautiful, and the image is heartwarming!

Vicky said...

I love both these cards Fran. The seniment card is really lovely and are always needed as not everyone likes cutsie christmas cards! Herb is very cute though and personally would probably prefer him! :-)
Hugs, Vicky x

Marcea said...

" gorgeous cards - hmmm think I may have to get these nesties too, lol, they are fab
Thanks for joining us this week on PBSC

Cazzy said...

I love your sentiment card.

Katie said...

This is my first vistit to your blog and definitely not my last! Your cards are so beautiful.

Katie
x

stardustgemsandribbon said...

Fabulous cards Fran...great PB sentiment and I love the black and white. You've done a great job with Herb...he's a cutie! Love your new nesties...I was impatient and ordered from the US...went to the NEC on Thurs and saw them at Once Upon a Stamp........kicking myself now, I've got to wait for them!!!
Have a great weekend.
Hugs
Carole :-)

Heather's Creations said...

2 beautiful cards Fran :0)
**Hugs** Heather x

debby4000 said...

Fabulous cards, love the non cute one but Herb is brilliant especially with the new nestabilities.

Pauline C said...

These are both gorgeous cards in very different wasy. That snowman is so cute and the papers/embellishments are lovely. The PB one is very stylish - thanks for joining in the PBSC this week
Pauline x

Rina said...

Both cards are so beautifully done.
TFS!!

Love to Doodle! said...

Two very different cards...love them both....the first is stunning...love the little touch of red polkadot....and the second uses such a different colour theme and is beautifully coloured...xx

Beth said...

Both gorgeous cards Fran, I think the sentiment card is really striking in black and silver! Thanks for joining in! I hope you're having a nice weekend! xx

Bev said...

Fran they are fabulous!! Wish my new nesties would come - I love how you've used them on the WOJ card

hugs Bevx

Angel said...

I adore your snowman card and have been wanting those Nesties myself. YOu make me want it more!

Malin said...

Love your cards, you are so productive. The colouring is perfect and I wish I was as good as you...!
//Malin

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

This card is totally stunning Fran, loving the snowman and the way he is glistening, gorgeous effect. Hugs Linda x

fairymadjo said...

ahhh stunning card's hun, huggs jo x

Jenny said...

wow, these are great, really inspiring!

cats whiskers said...

Two fab but totally different cards, you have a wonderful eye for colour Fran.
Bugs Jacqui x

Kim said...

Beautiful cards hon! I love them both!!!!
Hugs~ Kim

Karen said...

Both lovely cards. Love the blue/gold with Herb.
I'm adding those Nesties to my Christmas list!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin