Monday, 8 September 2008

Spoonful of sugar: Kitchen candle

Spoonful of sugar challenge this week is to make anything but a card. So it seemed the perfect time for me to finally try decorating a candle. It's been sitting on my desk along with all the other 'projects' I've seen and thought 'oo, I'd like to try that' only for it to sit on my desk for months!

Seeing as I'd not done this before thought I'd make this one for me then if it wasn't perfect it wouldn't matter. Good job really as it didn't turn out 100%! I'm loving my Whiff of Joy stamps at the moment so chose 3 which I thought were a great food/kitchen theme to put all the way around the one candle.

Here's all 3 images cut out and coloured onto tissue paper (remember to colour with kitchen roll under it to soak up all the excess ink as the paper's so thin). I used distress inks and sakura stardust pens for some sparkle on the wings, bows, mug etc
Here's the first image placed onto the candle with greaseproof paper wrapped tightly around it before you set it with your heatgun until the top layer of wax melts and your image is set into place (it should be smooth and tight - this is still a tad wrinkly and will show when you come to remove the greaseproof as I found out!)
Here's the finished candle, all the way around:


As you can see I didn't have the greaseproof paper tight enough when I heated Willow with Cookie and it's gone all bobbly and unsmooth - oh well, at least I know what not to do when I come to making them again. . . and I will, think they will make fab little stocking fillers at christmas or for Halloween. Just need to buy some more candles and cellaphane to wrap them in now.

Now I just need to light this one and see what happens to the images when the wax melts as noone seems to know and I need to make sure it's safe before giving them as presents!

Supplies used:

  • Stamps: Willow with cookies, Willow with hot choc, Melinda helping angel all fom Whiff of Joy
  • Plain Pillar Candle
  • tissue paper, colouring of choice
  • greaseproof paper & heatgun

17 comments:

Toni said...

I love these candles - keep seeing them and thinking I must try to make some!! Love the way you've coloured the images as always. xx

Rach said...

love your candle Fran,
it will be interesting to see how it burns, as i am unsure of this and all the other blogs seem to be sceptical on this part...
hugs Rachx

Bubbles said...

Gorgeous candle Fran the images are lovely. This is on my 'to do' list also just need to get tissue paper and the candles! Thanks for joining the challenge.
Joanne x

Kim said...

Beautiful creation! I LOVE it! I don't know if this is true or not...but I read that the tissue paper can start on fire....again, not sure if true...but I have made a few candles and just didn't light them! I love your WOJ stamps!!!!! that candle is just darling! Great job!
Hugs~ Kim

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous candle, love the stamps you've used.
Years ago I made one in a class, with snowflakes they did say it was just for show as the tissue paper catches alight, never tested the theory.

Debbie said...

Gorgeous candle Fran The images are coloured beautifully, Hugs Debbie x

Diane.W. said...

Luvly candle :o)x

Heather's Creations said...

Awesome, Fran! I like this alot, have never tried it myself...too scared of making a mess lol.
**Hugs** Heather x

ink'n'rubba said...

your candle is fabulous Fran! like you, I've not tried making one, despite being nudged by Lynn! I'd love to know what happens when the wax melts down to the image too. Although I'm guessing if it's a thick candle they usually burn down the middle leaving an outer edge of wax behind, so maybe that's the answer. annie x

craftyb said...

Looks fab Fran!! Never mind a couple of wrinkles...we all get them LOL!! Thanks for sharing the top tips!! bx

Bunny-Zoe's Blog said...

Gorgeous candle Fran, the images look beautiful. Hugs Nikki x

Kathy said...

Beautiful candle!! I have about 4 sitting here waiting to be decorated also!! The receiver will think it is to pretty to burn so I don't think you will have to worry!!! But that is a good question I never even thought of it!! :)Kathy

nessy said...

wonderful candles fran ~such a wonderful idea!!!
are you teacher fran now?? 10/10 for miss!! :~)
vanessa xx

NGCARDS said...

lol this looks really good!
I myself have been meaning to try this, same with shrink plastic, but never actually got round to it yet! lol
Xxx

stardustgemsandribbon said...

Great candles Fran...they look real good to me! You'll have to keep us informed how you get on when you light one of them.
Carole ;-)

Anki said...

Hej! It should not be a problem with the candles. My uncles wife have been doing these kind of candles for ages with already coloured tissues (she just tear out the section she want on the candle and heat it up). I will def try myself with this - just hoping that the tissue will not fall in pieces when I colour them ;-) Kram from Sweden - Anki

Katharina Frei said...

Wonderful candles Fran!!! Thanks for this terrific project :)
Hugs
Katharina

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin